Thursday, March 29, 2012

I did it!!!

Those of you who know me well, know that I am a lover of plants. I pride myself on getting most of my plants from the Used Plant Section of local grocery stores. Those of you not familiar with this section have probably passed it by numerous times without even noticing. It is usually a shopping cart filled with various types of post-holiday plants. Shamrocks in April, tulips in March, Mums in June...you get it. Well, my desire to rescue as many of these plants as possible extended to Orchids a few years back. I desperately wanted to successfully grow an orchid, but could not bring myself to fork over the big bucks to buy a big, pretty....live...one. So when I saw one in the Used Plant Section back then, I snatched it up! I read about how to take care of it, and did my best..........and it died. So sad. Next time I found one I did the same. Bought it, read about it, and successfully killed it. I think this has happened like four times. I was beginning to think that I had the opposite of a green thumb when it came to orchids.

I had just picked up what was to be my last go at bringing back a Used Orchid when my step mother-in-law found out about my love. Unbeknownst to me, Orchiding was a hobby of hers as well (I since have seen her house populated with beautiful orchids of all shapes and sizes), and offered some advice on how to properly care for one. I took her advice and tediously tended my new acquisition. It occupied a spot on my tiny kitchen window sill. One day, when I brought it down to water I hit myself in the eye with a shoot of new growth!!! I had no idea! I was so excited that not only had I not killed it (!), but it had thrived!

I have been patiently watching and waiting as bud, after bud, grew on that new stem shoot, and today I was rewarded! I bloom!! A real, live, orchid flower! On my plant! I didn't kill it!! I'm not sure there are sufficient exclamation points to describe how happy I am about this. I can't wait to see all the buds open up!
The full plant with the new shoot going to the right. Thats what I hit my head on.
The little shoot with some early buds.

The finished product! I worked so hard.......

7 comments:

Little Momma said...

Lena, I am so excited for you! I too have an orchid plant and I would love some of your mother-in-laws pointers on how to get them to grow. Way to go! By the way, they say that if you can nurture an orchid plant and make it grow, it means you are now ready to nurture a child. Just sayin'............

Laurie said...

Wow, oh, wow, so so beautiful. Good job. You did it

julie said...

Wow! That's beautiful Lena. My neighbor has a whole greenhouse dedicated to orchids, and I have no idea how he cares for them. I will have to take you over next time you come for a visit. Maybe he will send us home with a new variety.

Kathy said...

It is so beautiful. You have your Great-Grandmother's green thumb!

Amanda said...

Wow! It looks amazing!!! Good job Lena, I bet Paula would love some tips too.. she's been trying for years. I'm not daring enough to try.

Amanda said...

Wow! It looks amazing!!! Good job Lena, I bet Paula would love some tips too.. she's been trying for years. I'm not daring enough to try.

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to provide one thing again and help others like you aided me.
Feel free to visit my web site :: diets that work fast for women