Monday, January 28, 2008

Be Strong


I just have to express my thoughts about our beloved past Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. President Hinckley was the only Prophet I knew. I remember my mom calling me upstairs when I was 11 years old and having me raise my hand to sustain him during Conference. At the time I wasn't really interested in Conference and didn't know what was going on. I asked mom what that was for and she said, "We just got a new Prophet and I thought you might want to be a part of it." Thanks mom. She easily could have raised her hand to the square by herself in the family room, but she shared the moment with me, and now I have a memory of an important day in history. I am sure I will sustain more Prophets in my lifetime, but I will always remember President Hinckley as the first.

So far I have not cried over this loss. I feel very saddened by it, but I am not in mourning. I know that he is happy. I know he is with his childhood sweetheart.

I am excited for the new Prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I know he was very close to President Hinckley, and will be very intune with the Spirit as well as what Hickley would have wanted for such a "peculiar people."

He will never be forgotten.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you remember that. I guess I did something right! I've sustained 7 prophets so far so you have lots to look forward to!

Laurie said...

I love the pic you found. It was so nice to talk to you about this man today. I loved hearing your testimony about the prophet. He is and was a great man.

Nik English said...

I love Pres Hinckley I am excited to talk to him him heaven someday

Dixie Chic said...

Nice picture! Nice tribute, also. :)