Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wait, what day is it again?

I am once again stealing from other people's blogs. I promise I will give credit...does that make it better? Anyway...

Today my sister-in-law Laurie posted this line about gratitude: "it turns what we have into enough, and more." How true is that? When we count our blessings, we start to realize just how much we have. It is so easy to fall into a routine of comparing ourselves, or our lives to others. They have more money, a better car, a house, a great TV, even a great marriage, or perfect kids. And we always lose when we do that. There is always going to be someone who has more than we do. If we can't see what we have for its value, we will never be happy. Never. There are always things to be thankful for. Here are a few of mine:

* Our jobs.
* Two cars.
* My own computer.
* Pets.
* Food in my house, even if I don't cook very often.
* Blankets. One of which I have wrapped around me now...
* My sleeping husband.
* Our apartment, as much as I complain about it, its keeping the cold out.

That is just a small list compared to what I could say about what happened this summer. Too many blessings to count.

And that brings me to my next act of plagiarism. My good friend Dan (I call him Danny, cause I have since 3rd grade, sorry Dan.) said this about blessings: "In everything around me, I can see the blessing of Heaven, when I look closely." His post was about seeing the Savior in everything, even eyeglasses. And if you have ever taken seminary, you know that you can do it. You can relate everything to the Savior. And should. When you notice how many things we take for granted reflect Christ, and what he has done for us, you can really start to see the blessings in the little things.

I loved these two posts, and I love the people who wrote them. I am so grateful for my family and friends. I could never make it without them. I am so imperfect, and I know it. If I didn't have all these wonderful people around me, helping me be better all the time, I would never complete my journey here. I would be here forever trying to learn my lessons. Thanks to everyone who has stood by my side. I love you.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Lena, thank you for you beautiful words. And I love you too. It was so so fun just being together today. I have missed you. It really is so important to be grateful.