Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Rant About Work #2


I have been at my current job for long enough now that I have most of it down. My responsibilities are not large in number, but they important. So I know what is a big deal and what isn't, but here are some of the things that bug me either way. Some of you may recognize a few from the first post. That just means that they still bug me. And yes, Dave, all tellers have PMS. Lets just get that out of the way now.


1. Do not fold your checks. I was taught very early on by my father that checks were very important and that if you did not take care of them you could risk losing the money. Not like I can refuse to take a check that has been in you wallet for weeks, through the wash a couple times, or that is sticky. But I wish I could. Besides, it makes it very difficult to endorse and scan a check that is ripped or folded excessively. I know, sometimes you put them in your wallet or purse and forget about them. And one fold down the middle is fine. Do not fold the check three or four times and then let it take up shop in your pocket for a week before you cash it. If you are not going to the bank today, leave the check home.


2. I cannot read your mind. This applies to handing me a wad of cash or a stack of checks (that are not signed) and saying, "Put these in my checking." And then just staring at me. If you do that I will put it in MY checking, cause I know that number. The same thing applies to giving me a laundry list of things to do with the money you have not given me before you give me your account number. I can't do anything for you without that number and my memory is not that good. That is what the nice deposit slips are for. Now, I know, some banks do not use deposit slips, so disregard that.


3. Do NOT just walk up to my window. I am not ready for you until I call you. Besides being annoying, and rude, it could be a violation of private records. If I still have another members account information on my computer screen when you come to my window it could be compromised and I could get in big trouble. And if I am counting the money in my drawer, or putting away money from a previous transaction, I am not just killing time or brushing up on my math, I REALLY need to get that done and I cannot help you till I AM done, so please wait in line till I call you.


4. Control your kids. If you cannot, this is not the time for you to be getting a loan. I understand that schedules are tight and this might be the "only time" you have to come in. Under those circumstances, plan for the sometimes hour or more-long process and bring something for your kids to do. I am not a babysitter, and I am not nice. I will tell you kids to be quite and stop running across the chairs and playing in the blinds. I expect you, the parent, to know what your kids are doing and to help them act appropriately in a place of business.

5. Please do not talk on your cell phone when you come to my line. I do not care about whatever you are talking too-loudly about. And don't give me a dirty look when I "interrupt" your conversation to ask you such trivial questions as your account number or to sign for the $1000 in cash you got back. I promise that a normal trip to the bank will not take more than 10 minutes. You can call them back. They will understand. And if they don't, they probably talk on their cell phones at the bank too, and this will be a learning experience for them. HANG UP!!!


Ok, that's not a long list this time, but they are serious offenses. I sincerely hope that none of you are guilty of any of these and that you can use this list to make future trips to the bank more enjoyable for everyone.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious and yet so true!!! Ah the good old days of being a teller... By the way the kids thing drives me nuts!!! Where the heck do we have it posted that we are a free babysitter????

~*Felts~* said...

HAHA!!!! Wow, way to reinforce my decision to leave the banking world. LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

That's classic! And ALL true! I'd totally put the money in my account, too.

Jessica said...

That was like a lesson in bank manners for me. I will try to brush up on my behavior at the bank.

Nik English said...

I want my free milk please!!

Heather said...

I hate when ppl are talking on their cell phones like that, too. a pet peeve. But that one about kids makes me excited for the day you have some! I used to say the EXACT same things.....then reality hits.....

CTuna's Cavern said...

The insight from the in sider was exacting. Thank you for it. It's funny how other jobs have people doing the same dumb things. Enjoyed the post. Love Dad English

Anonymous said...

LOL! Ditto Heather on the kids issue- kids are kids, and ppl need to deal with it. ;)

On the checks- I didn't realize you weren't supposed to fold them. Maybe, if there's a ton of things that bother tellers- you should write up a list and pass them out everytime a customer comes in. Seriously- I wouldn't get offended reading it, because I honestly don't think many "NON-banking" people know this bank-ettiquite stuff! :)

WonderKitty said...

None of this is really bank etiquette, its just stuff that bugs me about my job. Everyone has something.

And about the kids, there is a limit to what is acceptable to let them do in a bank. I hope you don't let your kids run around screaming for 30 minutes while you get a loan, or climb on the chairs while waiting to open an account. I hope you at least TRY to corral them.

Heather said...

Well, I think you have every right to be annoyed....because I have no patience for other ppl's kids, either! But I am also sympathetic to the moms because I have been there once or twice. My kids are usually well-behaved,but every once in awhile they get over-hyper or just decide to throw an uncontrollable fit and it inevitably will happen at the most inopportune times. And I always feel like everyone is looking at me as a horrible mother, so then I get more stressed, which just makes the situation worse! It's hard to be a mom!
Anyway, I'm lucky enough I rarely have to take all three kids with me on errands, if any. But I will give you some comfort....we never go inside our banks. We always do the drive through and the kids get a sucker. That way everyone wins! lol. ;O)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't trying to be rude in my post at all, Lena dear! I want to Ditto everything Heather said. I NEVER go into the bank BECAUSE I have 4 kids that I HAVE to take with me everywhere. When we went to get our loans, of course our kids had to be there and yes, kids do pick the most horrible times to be impatient, run around, and not listen. There's really not much you CAN do at that point, if both people are trying to listen to the loan officer and such. But I DO understand slightly what you're saying, it's just that once you do have your own kids, opinions tend to change. Believe me- I had a way different mind set before kids! :)