Thursday, December 03, 2009

In the beginning...

I'm just going to come right out and say it. Nik and I joined a gym. Mostly for me. Well, I say that cause its because of me that we actually went and signed up. Not that Nik was not into it too. His complaining about gaining weight was really getting to me. So, I am there to get back to being able to get out of bed, or get something out of the bottom drawer with out hurting myself. You laugh, and well, you should. I laugh too. It's pretty ridiculous when I can't get out of my car without twisting something. I used to be able to do stuff like that. You know, MOVE.

Anyway, I picked this particular gym because it has convenient yoga classes. And I finally made it there last night for the first time. I don't even know how to describe how this class went for me. It was only an hour long, and I think I spent at least 20 minutes in Child's Pose. And that is not counting the 10 minute cool down that I spent on my back. I can handle the easy stuff like Warrior One and Pigeon Pose (though, keep in mind here that I have to hold myself off the ground a little, cause my hips don't bend like that). But when we started doing Eagle Pose, I started sitting down. There was no way I was getting my body into that position and staying upright! And when I opted to not do the Headstand, I found that the alternative was worse. She said, "If you don't want your feet to leave the ground, just spread your feet and bend over, place the top of your head on the ground and try to put some weight on it." Oh, yeah, just bend over and put your head on the ground. I got my head to about waist level. Let's just leave it at that.

I love yoga, and I really don't want my lack of abilities to stop me from continuing to go. I know I need this. And I know that it just takes time. Maybe I just need a friend to come with me. Any takers?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just let me know when and don't laugh at me.

Vivian said...

you came with me to my prenatal yoga once, right? I'd be up for it, but I need more info to see if I can make it work with my budget and schedule.

Laurie said...

I would love to go with you. I love Yoga. I just need a motivator

minisuperbias said...

I've never taken a class because of the time commitment and the money, but I do it on my own most nights, we could just do it on our own sometime!