Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Power of Prayer

Gather around children, while I tell you a story of the power of prayer.


I know we like to tell our children, and our primary classes that if you are having a hard time, or have lost something, or just need help, they should pray. I have done this. And things have worked out. But I will admit to never having a very clear answer as to why. But since I have seen results, I have kept at it. Here is what happened to me (Keep in mind this is not meant to be a really serious experience, but it has a pretty serious moral):


Yesterday on my day off I decided to start my New Years Resolution off right, and hit the gym. The last time I went (in like November...) I forgot my padlock so I made an extra effort to find it and test the combination to make sure I could get it open. Success! I remembered it! So I go gym it out for about an hour and a half (got some serious reading done on the treadmill), and return to the locker room to retrieve my purse and jacket. After putting in my combo I am surprised to find that the lock won't open. Ok. I try again. Nothing. Again with slightly different numbers, maybe I forgot one. Nothing.

Now, I know the progression of my combination and I am pretty sure I know about which numbers I am supposed to use, so I figure it is only a matter of tries before I get it right. Um, yeah...I tried for a solid 20 minutes to no avail.

Thoughts running through my head:

*could call Nik but hes out for work, couldn't come get me.
*could call mom, but not sure if she has a key to my car.
*have to get my purse out or I don't have my phone or keys.
*without keys, can't get in to house.
*without phone, limited phone numbers I know by heart.

At this point I am desperate. I went in to the bathroom and prayed. "Please let me get my keys out. Help me to remember my combination. I thought I had tried it before I left, what happened? Please help me get my locker open." After sitting for a minute I returned to my lock. Stood, hands-on-hips and stared at my lock. Tried the combo again, with a last minute change that I had not thought of yet, and BAM!! Lock opens. First time.




Now tell me that was not divine intervention.






Like I said, not really a serious story, but a pretty awesome moral.

2 comments:

~*Felts~* said...

haha! I love you!

Unknown said...

I've had several experiences with prayer lately! I'm so glad that you were able to get into your locker!